Position Description – WESTAF – 01/25/2021
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, WESTAF (Western States Arts Federation) is a nonprofit organization that weaves together technology, thought leadership, and innovation to energize, network and grow funding for public sector arts agencies.
About the Position
Please see this link for the full job description.
Summary of Position
The Communications Coordinator coordinates and implements the day-to-day communications activities that support WESTAF’s communications, public relations, brand management, and strategic initiatives. This role creates and distributes various content for effective communication and use across all WESTAF channels, including marketing materials, business communications, reports, boilerplate documents, organizational literature, presentations, press releases, and website, blog, and newsletter content and more. Under the guidance of the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Communications Coordinator serves in a project manager capacity for multiple communications activities across WESTAF’s Alliances, Advocacy & Policy (AAP) and Social Responsibility & Inclusion (SRI) divisions in the planning, development, production, and execution of campaigns from concept to evaluation with clear tasks, timelines, and metrics. This role also works in collaboration with the Marketing Coordinator to support tech product marketing initiatives and campaigns as needed and manages the planning of WESTAF meetings and events—handling participant communications and travel arrangements; producing meeting and event materials; liaising with hotel, meeting/event venue, and restaurant contacts; and tracking attendees, budgets, travel reimbursements, and meal and event headcounts. The Communications Coordinator provides unsolicited and generative feedback to the Director of Marketing and Communications and Leadership Resource Team regarding project issues, solutions, and improvements.
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Manages multiple communications initiatives across WESTAF’s programs and services under the SRI and AAP divisions—plans, develops, produces, and executes campaigns from concept to evaluation with clear tasks, timelines, and metrics
- Manages the production and distribution of various communications materials, including the WESTAF bimonthly newsletter, NEA monthly newsletter content, RAO activity reports, brochures/postcards, white papers, research reports, case studies, ebooks, articles, long-form text, and more
- Ensures the quality, accuracy, and consistency of all outgoing communications and that materials prepared for public distribution are consistent with WESTAF’s style guide and build a consistent, recognizable identity and brand image for WESTAF’s products and services
- Develops and/or updates key boilerplates, resources, and documents including WESTAF’s Master Style Guide, the Annual Report, and various presentation decks and materials
- Develops and implements system and process for managing, maintaining, and cleaning up WESTAF’s various contact lists (currently in Zoho and Constant Contact); develops policy/guidance around usage of Constant Contact across all tech products as well as WESTAF’s AAP and SRI divisions
- Assists in managing WESTAF’s public relations efforts and develops strategies for raising the organization’s public profile; creates system for building and maintaining multiple media and press lists and updates lists as needed
- Locates, gathers, and organizes stories that document the work of WESTAF and its constituents
- Serves as an editor of WESTAF symposia proceedings and session reports that arise from WESTAF convenings; manages the transcription process, implementation of speaker edits, design and formatting, and publication to various platforms
- Drafts and distributes press releases, business communications, reports, organizational literature, presentation scripts, and other documents and materials
- Copy and content edits various materials including marketing copy, tech project communications, collateral, and website, blog and newsletter content
- Develops and executes communication plans for each project; presents plans to the internal stakeholders for each project
Meetings & Events
- Serves as the main contact for CTM—oversees participant travel arrangements (flights, ground transportation, hotel)
- Coordinates the production of meeting/event materials, including name tags, folders/packets, advance readings, check-in and registration lists, seating cards, and other deliverables
- Organizes and updates all meeting-related information in master spreadsheets and/or Asana
- Maintains an annual calendar of meetings and events
- Tracks in each master meeting spreadsheet: attendees, budgets, travel reimbursements, and meal and event headcounts; ensures that travel costs are coded properly for accounting
- Drafts clear, detailed communications for participants (and speakers, when applicable) regarding logistics, travel information and required materials. Develops a cadence of communication to inform of updates, deadlines, and changes; responds promptly to all communications and resolves travel issues or emergencies for travelers; exhibits strong follow-through
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills and excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strength in communications and public relations
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple demanding projects and rapidly-shifting priorities and think on feet while meeting deadlines
- Ability to address complex, intricate problems, balance various stakeholders’ needs, weigh pros and cons and execute solutions
- Ability to identify departmental gaps and needs and work to fill those needs by harnessing resources or research and building and proposing solutions
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team as well as complete assignments independently with minimal supervision
- Proven success managing large projects and/or events
- Interest and skills in graphic design
- Skills in SEO/SEM a plus
- Basic web design skills (HTML, CSS); experience with WordPress and/or SquareSpace a plus
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
The salary range for this Coordinator-level position is $42,000 to $45,000. Starting salary will be established based on the skills the candidate will provide to achieve the essential and preferred functions. WESTAF provides a competitive benefits package including fully paid health benefits and 401k match.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2021.