Director of Public Policy | WESTAF
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, Western States Arts Federation (WESTAF) is a nonprofit arts service organization dedicated to strengthening the financial, organizational, and policy infrastructure of the arts in the West. WESTAF assists state arts agencies, arts organizations and artists in their quest to serve diverse audiences, enrich the lives of local communities, and provide access to the arts and arts education for all. Through innovative programming, advocacy, research, technology, and grantmaking, WESTAF encourages the creative advancement and preservation of the arts regionally and through a national network of customers and alliances.
As one of six regional arts organizations in the US, WESTAF provides advocacy, policy, arts programming and professional development services to the arts agencies in its 13-state region. WESTAF has also taken an entrepreneurial approach to addressing the needs of the arts and culture field by developing technology products and providing software as a service (SaaS). Through these programs, WESTAF serves arts organizations and artists in every state.
Founded in 1974, WESTAF is governed by a 22-member board of trustees comprised of arts leaders in the West. WESTAF serves the largest constituent territory of U.S. regional arts organizations and includes Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawai’i, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
About the Position:
Here’s the full job description.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Public Policy will lead and guide the development of progressive, sustainable, and high-impact arts policy programs and services. WESTAF’s 10-year vision and strategic plan set forth aggressive goals and metrics, including strengthening state arts agencies, increasing equity in the arts field, increasing public funding and support for the arts, and advancing WESTAF’s position as a thought leader. The Director of Public Policy will play a key role in advancing and achieving these goals with a special focus on the work of state arts agencies.
- Develops, refines, implements and leads programs, convenings and consulting services related to policy options and positioning for state arts agency participants in WESTAF.
- Manages relationships with WESTAF-region state arts agencies to become stronger, more innovative, entrepreneurial and relevant to their constituencies.
- Works closely at the policy level with state advocacy groups to drive results.
- Develops, implements and leads strategies to support WESTAF’s public policy thought leadership in the field, including positioning and managing convenings, developing white papers and developing key messaging.
- With the Executive Director, identifies and aligns key individual, organizational and agency partners to increase public funding for the arts at the state and national levels.
- In collaboration with the WESTAF Director of Marketing and Communications, develops and implements public relations campaigns to build awareness of arts-related issues to drive legislation and policy informed by trends, political opinion and public opinion.
- Manages external relationships with the National Endowment for the Arts, Regional Arts Organizations (RAOs), and other arts and public policy organizations like the National Assembly of State Arts Agencies (NASAA) and Americans for the Arts (AFTA) that benefit WESTAF and its participating states.
- In partnership with the Director of Social Responsibility, executes and advances WESTAF policy-related programs and services to proactively support and expand the promotion of leaders of color in the West.
- Represents WESTAF’s vision and goals at relevant conferences, convenings, public meetings and important political functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Master’s Degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Five years of public policy work at the state and/or national level
- Demonstrated management and supervisory experience
- Demonstrated experience in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills
- Experience and formal training in arts disciplines and/or arts administration preferred
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Competitive benefits package includes fully paid health coverage and 401k with matching.
WESTAF is an equal opportunity employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Manager, Creative Vitality Suite™
Date of Description Revision May 7, 2019
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, WESTAF (Western States Arts Federation) is a nonprofit organization that weaves together technology, thought leadership, and innovation to energize, network, and grow funding for public sector arts agencies. As one of six regional arts organizations in the US, it provides advocacy, policy, arts programming, and professional development services to the state arts agencies in its 13-state region. Through its technology programs, WESTAF serves arts organizations and artists in every state. WESTAF has taken an entrepreneurial approach to addressing the needs of the arts and culture field by developing technology products and providing software as a service (SaaS). The income generated from these services enables WESTAF to elevate the arts and culture field through a number of initiatives.
Summary of Product
The Creative Vitality Suite is a software as a service data tool designed to facilitate research and analysis of the impact of arts and culture on the economy. The data in the tool are derived from national, authoritative sources that provide information on creative jobs, industry earnings, industry revenues, and the concentrations of jobs. The tool also contains detailed information on cultural nonprofits. With customizable, quantitative information on the creative sector, arts agencies, tourism bureaus, downtown development associations, real estate developers, community investors, and other organizations can demonstrate and speak to the local economic benefits of creative businesses and talent.
Summary of Position
The Manager of CVSuite™ plans, implements, and coordinates much of the day-to-day activity pertaining to the CVSuite system. The Manager administers the product, manages the clients and oversees the development and the technical maintenance of the CVSuite system.
In addition to servicing the existing client base, the Manager is also responsible for overseeing the Business Coordinator, whose charge is to onboard new clients and execute the sales and business development goals of CVSuite. The Manager will work closely with the Director of Business Strategy to meet the revenue goals for this earned income product. In addition, the Manager will be responsible for tracking and managing the CVSuite budget. The Manager will work closely with the Director of Business Strategy to establish the system’s budget and product development goals.
The Manager is expected to ensure that the annual technical and business operation goals established for CVSuite are met or exceeded. This is a highly collaborative position that works across the organization with the technology team, the Director of Business Strategy, the Business Coordinator, other product managers, and the marketing team. The Manager is charged with maintaining a constantly expanding knowledge of the needs of clients and managing the system to respond as those needs evolve.
Finally, the Manager of CVSuite is WESTAF’s creative economy expert and will have an integral role in supporting WESTAF’s strategic plan to ensure that the organization is a thought leader and cultural policy expert in the field. The position may be required to present and speak about the creative economy on behalf of the product and WESTAF’s cultural policy work.
- Plans, implements, and coordinates the daily operations of CVSuite and co-manage the Business Coordinator.
- Serves as the initiating source of the short-term and long-term vision for the CVSuite product.
- Acts as a product knowledge expert for CVSuite with the inherent understanding of the business rules of the system and the methodology utilized.
- Troubleshoots the technical issues of the CVSuite system; documents and escalates bug fixes to the technology teams and follows through to the completion of the task.
- Recommends product development features to ensure continued customer satisfaction and to meet business strategy and business operation goals.
- Assists with software development by generating bug tickets, creating specs for larger enhancements, testing issues as they are being resolved, and planning releases.
- Maintains the inflow of data into the system to ensure it is systematically cleaned and updated. Prioritizes and scrubs the product backlog for the system.
- Ensures that clients receive a very high level of customer service, support, and complaint resolution by developing and overseeing the training, client onboarding and education of the clients and customer service needs. Maintains a constantly expanding knowledge of client needs and the abilities of the system to respond as those needs evolve.
- Owns and manages weekly CVSuite meeting agendas and bi-weekly reports to WESTAF staff leadership.
- Communicates and coordinates priorities for the Business Coordinator.
- Manages the budget and provides financial reporting to management.
- Develops and supports content for blogs, marketing materials, presentations, etc.
- Coordinates and executes the marketing and sales goals for the CVSuite and collaborates on the project’s sales materials.
- Pushes the sale and revenue generation goals of the system.
- Analyzes competitors and market trends to build a forward-thinking product.
- Provides unsolicited feedback regarding project issues, solutions, improvements, and enhancements.
- Represents WESTAF in the media, at conferences and other speaking engagements as an expert and thought leader on matters relating to the creative economy.
This role will report to the Director of Business Strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2+ years working with teams.
- 2+ years client relations experience.
- Sales and marketing experience and previous experience in managing an SaaS product.
- Experience with project management and knowledge of agile and scrum processes.
- Experience with data wrangling, analysis, and visualization.
- Familiarity with statistical tools (i.e. Excel and R) is a plus.
- Interest in creative industries and creative economy data.
- Ability to assess the impact of new requirements on an existing set of complex projects.
- Ability to effectively allocate staff and contractor resources to accomplish a goal.
- Strong attention to detail, aptitude for executing and prioritizing tasks independently, and the ability to rapidly shift priorities.
- Solution-oriented with the ability to troubleshoot and communicate solutions.
- Professional demeanor and a positive approach to customer service.
- Aptitude for completing work objectives under limited supervision.
- Strong emotional intelligence and ability to communicate complex issues verbally and in writing.
- Must have a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Experience in data sciences is preferred.
- Salary: $47,000 to $50,000 depending upon experience
- Paid vacation (10 hours/month)
- Paid sick leave (8 hours/month)
- Paid holidays (11 per year)
- Health insurance provided at no-added cost to employee
- Dental coverage provided with $15 employee contribution
- RTD Ecopass
- Retirement plan with 401k matching opportunities.
WESTAF is an equal opportunity employer : All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position must be filled as soon as possible. Early applications will receive preference. Submit a resume and cover letter detailing your experience and qualifications for this position to email@example.com with subject line “CVSuite Manager” No phone calls please.